Professional development and Travel bursaries provide money for a-n Artist members to
Devise your own schedule of professional development to boost your practice in 2017.
What would make a difference for you? Whose advice or input would you value, is there a new direction or area of practice you’d like to develop? We know that targeted funding at the right time in an artist’s career can make all the difference – so why not put together a plan to make things happen for you in 2017.
Bursaries of £500-£1,000 available to a-n Artist members wishing to undertake a self-determined schedule of professional development in 2017. They can be used for artist-to-artist or curatorial critique, to support learning of new skills or research into a new area of practice. Contribution to childcare costs and any access needs can be included. Activity must be completed by end December 2017.
Travel to make relationships and create opportunities for future work or collaboration.
Where will 2017 take you? Looking for a chance to develop your networks outside the UK? Make relationships with artists, curators and organisations further afield to create opportunities for future work or collaboration? Why not expand your horizons and go places in 2017.
Bursaries of £500-1,000 available to a-n Artist members wishing to travel internationally to develop networks, relationships and opportunities. Primarily intended for international travel, though proposals for travel within the UK can also be made. Funds can be used to support travel, accommodation and subsistence costs. Contribution to childcare costs and any access needs can be included. Activity must be completed by end December 2017.
Deadline for applications: 12 noon Thursday 9 February 2017
Eligibility: Visual artists based in the UK (or with a UK bank account) with a current a-n Artist membership.
- Students on an undergraduate course.
- Artists within 24 months of completing an undergraduate course.
- Artists who received a Travel or Professional Development bursary from a-n in 2016.
Value: Awards of £500-1,000.
How to apply:
Use our application form to provide the following information.
- Your contact details and a-n Artist membership expiry date.
- Choose whether your application is for a Professional Development or a Travel bursary (due to volume of applications we are not accepting applications for both this year). Provide a short and clear description of your proposed bursary activity (up to 50 words).
- Outline your budget, amount applied for and estimate your timescale.
- Outline your schedule of bursary activity. (up to 250words)
- Why is the opportunity provided by this bursary crucial to your artistic and professional development? (up to 350 words)
- What do you think you might achieve from it? (up to 200 words)
- How might your peer network benefit from your participation in the bursary activity? (up to 200 words)
- A short reference (up to 250 words) from an established artist or arts professional who knows your work well enough to recommend you for this bursary. Include their contact details.
Sending your application
Send the following 3 pdf files to [email protected] with ‘Professional Development Bursary’ or ‘Travel Bursary’ in the email header (depending on which you are applying for):
- Your application form saved as a pdf (with your name first in the title eg Freda_Bloggs_Bursary_Application)
- Your up-to-date CV including links to relevant websites (in 1 pdf file, with your name first in the title eg Freda_Bloggs_CV)
- A completed equality and diversity monitoring form (in 1 pdf file with your name first in the title eg Freda_Bloggs_EDform)
Applications accepted from now and up to 12 noon Thursday 9 February 2017.
- In submitting an application you confirm that you meet the eligibility criteria (set out above) and are not excluded by any of the exclusions (set out above).
- In order to preserve as much money for bursaries, a-n can’t respond to requests for advice in shaping applications or queries about the terms or eligibility criteria.
- We advise not leaving the sending of your application to the last day.
- The decision to award or not is at the discretion of a-n The Artists Information Company.
- Bursaries come with an obligation to produce a blog about activity carried out to share learning and progress with the artists’ community on a-n.co.uk/blogs.
- Activity must be completed by end December 2017.