Summary of terms
Job title: Communications and Marketing Officer
Contract: This is a permanent, full-time contract of employment.
Hours: 35 hours per week.
Salary: £27,369 – £30,669 (depending on qualifications and experience).
Pension: Employment includes access to a workplace pension.
Holiday: 34 days per annum (inclusive of statutory public and bank holidays) rising to a maximum of 37 days relative to length of service.
Location: a-n office in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Deadline for receipt of applications: 12noon on Monday 6 April 2020.
Responsible to: Director of Digital and Online Content
The Communications and Marketing Officer is responsible for the delivery of communications and marketing strategy to support the continued growth of our membership; raise the profile of the organisation and awareness of the benefits of our membership packages and advocacy work; and develop media and PR opportunities, in line with the company’s mission and business plan.
1. Delivery of communications and marketing strategy
• Support the development and implementation of communications and marketing strategy.
• Lead imaginative communications and marketing activities to:
– develop member engagement and retention,
– develop and grow new audiences and target markets,
– promote the company and raise the profile of our programme, products, packages and member benefits,
– further the aims of our advocacy and campaigns work.
• Contract and work with specialist consultants (design, market research, PR) as required and in agreement with CEO, liaising with senior staff as required.
• Support company growth and engagement targets including delivery of communications and marketing targets.
• Monitor, evaluate and report on effectiveness of strategy, making adjustments as appropriate.
• Manage marketing budget and report on accordingly.
2. Development of media and PR opportunities
• Oversee media enquiries, maintaining regional, national and international media contacts.
• Write press releases and promotional material for a-n activities.
• Oversee the management and storage of visual assets for promotional use.
3. Development and application of brand
• Support the development and management of the a-n brand.
• Ensure the a-n brand is appropriately represented, and all products and services suitably packaged and marketed.
• Assist in the development of brand guidelines and visual identity.
• Ensure consistency of brand, visuals and messaging across all our activities.
4. Member and market research
• Research the memberships’ changing needs and aspirations, liaising with and responding to member and market requests from CEO and heads of departments.
• Identify competitors, new partners and opportunities in order to maintain market position.
• Identify new membership groups, markets and opportunities for development.
5. General and administrative
• Represent the company as appropriate.
• Comply with all company policies and procedures.
• Commitment to and work on tasks related to data protection legislation, policy and practice.
• Commitment to and work on tasks related to equality and diversity legislation, policy and practice.
• Commitment to and work on tasks related to monitoring, evaluation and reporting, in line with the business plan, funding agreements and company targets.
• Other duties as reasonably required, commensurate with the level and nature of the role.
• Regular travel and may be required to work unsocial hours, as appropriate and reasonable.
• Excellent knowledge and experience of digital marketing, social media and analytics.
• Excellent written communication skills, including effective marketing copy and press releases, writing for different audiences and social media platforms.
• Good understanding of brand, managing design processes and application of visual collateral.
• Knowledge and experience of strategies for audience/member retention and renewal.
• Knowledge and experience of advocacy and campaigning.
• Knowledge and experience of PR and liaising with press and media.
• Knowledge of relevant marketing legislation and requirements of GDPR.
• Excellent people skills, able to maintain effective partnerships and professional relationships with a wide variety of people and organisations.
• Proven team player, effectively managing own time, sharing and prioritising workload within a deadline-based environment.
• IT literate with good knowledge and experience of customer relationship management systems, data and list management and Microsoft Office applications.
• Appropriate and effective use of the wide range of communication techniques and virtual platforms available within the company.
• Willing contributor to co-learning and knowledge sharing.
About a-n The Artists Information Company
a-n The Artists Information Company is the largest artists’ membership organisation in the UK. In the last three years, it has achieved its highest ever membership and income, reaching over 25,000 members and a £1m turnover. This year from September a-n celebrates 40 years.
How to apply
See job pack below for full details, how to apply and guidance notes for applicants. The deadline for receipt of applications is 12noon on Monday 6 April 2020.