Summary of terms
Job title: Digital Officer
Reports to: Head of Business Development
Contract: Permanent contract of employment
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: £28,190 – £31,589
Pension: Access to workplace pension scheme The People’s Pension
Holiday: 34 days per annum (including statutory public and bank holidays)
Location: London or Newcastle with regular travel between offices. Flexible and remote working requests will be considered.
Purpose of the role
The Digital Officer works with the Senior Management Team (SMT) to deliver the digital strategy in line with the company’s mission and business plan. This role is responsible for daily monitoring of a-n’s digital and IT infrastructure, working with external digital and IT suppliers on development and maintenance needs; supporting company data management and reporting; providing technical support to staff across memberships, programme and communications. This role is also the designated company Data Protection Officer.
1. Oversee the day-to-day operation of the company’s digital and IT infrastructure
• Working with SMT, contribute to the digital strategy, including the ongoing development of the company website and membership management system.
• Identify and investigate digital and IT issues detrimental to a-n’s business and user experience. Items identified to be prioritised with SMT prior to external supplier involvement.
• Monitor and lead on best practices in relation to user experience, software and tooling compatibility, data protection and accessibility standards.
2. Coordinate work with external digital and IT suppliers
• Prioritise maintenance and development work with SMT and coordinate with external suppliers and staff team to execute the agreed tasks.
• Work with external digital and IT suppliers to identify the most effective solutions for digital maintenance and development.
• Monitor and assess progress with external suppliers and report back to SMT and the staff team as required.
• Oversee the testing, quality assurance and signing-off of maintenance and development work with staff and external suppliers.
3. Provide technical support for staff
• Support staff with digital and IT systems and equipment, assessing and troubleshooting problems, implementing technical fixes, advising on improvements to internal processes.
• Support the membership team in answering users’ technical queries related to the website and their membership.
• Regularly update digital and IT documentation for reporting purposes and to ensure staff have clear information.
• Provide staff training and induction as necessary.
4. Data management, reporting and marketing
• Oversee the management and maintenance of CMS and CRM data, working with relevant staff.
• Support the maintenance of website and membership data including regular data cleaning.
• Provide technical support to help improve digital sales and marketing functions.
• Support the creation of custom searches and reports to provide statistical analysis and feed into evaluation, reporting and business development.
5. General responsibilities
• Represent the company as appropriate.
• Comply with all company policies and procedures.
• Other duties as reasonably required, commensurate with the level and nature of the role.
• May be required to work unsocial hours, as appropriate and reasonable.
• Experience working with CMS and CRM systems.
• Experience setting up and reporting on website analytics.
• Knowledge of common web development practices (version control, pull requests, agile methodologies).
• Experience in project managing digital workflows, prioritisation and effective troubleshooting.
• Programming experience (we use SQL for producing reports from our CRM database and our website uses PHP).
• Good understanding of common security flaws, website accessibility and usability.
How to apply
See job pack below for full details, how to apply and guidance notes for applicants.
The deadline for receipt of applications is 12noon on Thursday 25 November 2021.
a-n The Artists Information Company is the largest artists’ membership organisation in the UK with over 24,000 members. This is a pivotal time for a-n and our critical role in championing, campaigning for and supporting visual artists. We are developing ambitious business plans for 2022-2027 and the Digital Officer will be involved in digital and website development projects during this period.