THE DEADLINE FOR THIS OPPORTUNITY HAS NOW PASSED.
Who can apply: Current a-n Artist, Joint (Artist and Arts Organiser) and Student members
What: a-n 40th Anniversary Logo Call Out
Deadline: 12 noon, Monday 23 March 2020
a-n The Artists Information Company is turning 40 this autumn. We will be celebrating our anniversary from September 2020, the month that the first Artists Newsletter was published in 1980.
We want to create a logo to be used throughout the 40th Anniversary year across all of our communications including our website, print, promotional material and social media.
We are looking for expressions of interest from our members to develop a logo which celebrates a-n and our work.
Five artists will receive £500 to develop final designs and to make a short presentation to a small panel on Wednesday 13 May in London.
The final selected artist will be awarded £2,000.
We are keen to see imaginative, ambitious and innovative ideas.
Supporting Artists for 40 Years
a-n has grown from a grass-roots 500-copy-a-month newsletter to a full professional membership organisation focusing on members’ needs. We are now the largest artists’ membership organisation in the UK with over 25,000 members. We run an annual programme supporting artists’ professional development. We advocate on behalf of our members and the arts sector to improve artists’ livelihoods.
In the past 40 years we have played a crucial role in supporting artists and we are marking this with a year-long celebration from September 2020. We have delved into our rich archive interviewing 40 Artists that have been significant shaping a-n and visual arts in the UK. We are looking forward by developing an Artists’ Manifesto that reflects the concerns of artists today and commissioning 40 Actions by artists to signal future change.
How to apply
- Please send a copy of your CV, links to relevant work (up to 5 images or a showreel no longer than 2 minutes) and no more than 250 words telling us why you are interested in this project to [email protected] by 12 noon on Monday 23 March.
- We are not looking for an idea at this stage but would like to find out about your work and how you would approach this project.
- It is not necessary to have previous experience in graphic design.
- Your expression of interest should not be time consuming – we are keen to find out how your work can be adapted to producing a logo.
- 40th Anniversary logo call out is open to current a-n Artist, Joint (Artist and Arts Organiser) and Student members. Become a member here. Check your membership type here.
What happens next
- We will select five artists to develop a logo.
- Each artist will be paid a fee of £500. The selected artists will be notified by Monday 6 April.
- The selected artists will develop their logo for a presentation to a small panel on Wednesday 13 May in London.
Second stage for the five selected artists
- You will receive a fee of £500 to develop a logo idea.
- We anticipate the fee covering 2 days of development work and half a day to cover the presentation of your idea.
- We are keen to see imaginative, ambitious and innovative ideas which can be used across a range of platforms including: print, promotional materials, social media and digital.
- Applications will be chosen based on the production of a strong idea, quality, concept and potential for use.
- To support the development of ideas, you will be welcome to access the a-n archive of print magazines in either Newcastle or London offices by appointment. Magazines from 2004 to 2012 are available online at https://www.a-n.co.uk/resource/type/archive/document/.
- You will be invited to make a short presentation to a small panel on Wednesday 13 May in London.
- Travel and expenses will be covered in addition to the fee.
- a-n will award a total of £2,000 for the chosen logo. This includes any further work needed to develop the logo (up to a maximum of 5 days) and for use of the logo (on print, promotional material, social media and digital).
- Any other use of the logo will be discussed and an additional agreement made.
- Copyright for the logo remains with the artist.
- We will be able to provide help with graphic design should you need it.
- You will be credited as the logo creator.
This opportunity is open to current a-n Artist, Joint (Artist and Arts Organiser) and Student members. Not yet a member? Find out more and Join a-n today.
We regret that we are not able to provide advice on developing individual applications. However, should you need any technical support or have questions about the application requirements, please contact us by email at [email protected]
Image: a-n Magazine covers