Aimed at artists and art organisers who wish to develop their reviewing, critical writing and journalistic skills, the programme will run from August 2017 to March 2018 and include a combination of writing tasks and at least three in-person daytime workshop sessions (October-December 2017).
The programme will culminate with a series of paid commissions for the a-n website, with feedback and editorial support throughout the commissioning process (January-March 2018). Costs of travel to the workshops will be covered and a bursary of £300 to support attendance at workshops is available to successful applicants.
Led by writer and editor Chris Sharratt, this is a programme for those who want to hone their skills of writing for publication. It will explore interviewing, feature writing, reviewing, writing for an audience and working with an editor. Applicants do not need to have been widely published, but you do need to be able to demonstrate a commitment to developing your writing in this area.
Applications accepted from now and up to 12 noon Thursday 27 July 2017.
Eligibility: UK-based artists and arts organisers, who hold a current a-n membership, with an interest in critical or journalistic arts writing and some existing experience of writing.
Exclusions: Students undertaking undergraduate study.
How to apply
Use our application form to provide the following information:
1. Your contact details including telephone, email, postal details and membership expiry date.
2. 250 words outlining why you want to take part in the programme and what you believe you’ll get out of it.
3. Details and link to three examples of previously published work – magazine, newspaper, website – that best illustrates your writing skills. One of these examples can be an appropriate blog post.
4. An original, unpublished piece of journalistic writing, between 400-500 words in length. This can be a review, interview (not a Q&A) or comment/think piece covering a subject relevant to a-n’s members and readership.
Sending your application
Send the following 3 pdf files to [email protected]:
- Your application form saved as a pdf (with your name first in the title eg Freda_Bloggs_Writer_Development_Application)
- Your up-to-date CV (in 1 pdf file, with your name first in the title eg Freda_Bloggs_CV)
- A completed equality and diversity monitoring form (in 1 pdf file, with your name first in the title eg Freda_Bloggs_EDform )
Applications accepted from now up to 12 noon Thursday 27 July 2017.
We will aim to notify successful applicants by 10 August.
- Applications from those who do not hold a current a-n membership will not be considered.
- Applications which we receive after the deadline will not be considered.
- We advise not leaving the sending your application to the last day.
- Please don’t send large files (maximum is 1MB). We ask for files to be in pdf format as this reduces the size for sending. Do not send files in other formats or include image files as these will not be taken forward to assessment.