Threads is a 1984 television drama which focuses on the medical, economic, social, and environmental consequences of a nuclear war spanning over a 13 year period.
This clip shows a child of one of the survivors who is educationally stunted and speaks a broken and distorted version of English.
I often find myself re-watching this clip. It is incredibly powerful as a it demonstrates a way of learning and a methodical way of working through communication. In my notes and work I am trying to think about my own thought processes and how I can communicate my ideas to a wider audience.
My critical notes:
- presentation of language
- sense to nonsense
- call and response
- create a sense of meaning through construction
- listening and reading: education
- divisive machines: inversion, repeat, re-look and contemplate
- fragmented and functioning like an archive
- objective and subjective voices