I was very happy with the space I was allocated for the degree show, it was a long corridor style space which actually looked quite over whelming at first. I’ve seen this space before, obviously, but never this bare. It was quite daunting. The previous year, second year, I had my assessment in my studio space which was almost like a little room. It had one wall which I put my three pieces on and it was a really good size. Big enough to display the work but not too big that it overwhelmed it.
However with this space I have found that it is almost too big. I struggled to decide how I would lay out my work. But before I thought about that I had to prep the wall. By using sandpaper to sand any rough edges, removing any nails/screws, filling the holes with polyfilla then sanding that down to then paint on top of it with a white paint. The only thing I have found with my wall is that it is very brittle. As I was painting on top of it the paint from the previous years was peeling off, which was very frustrating. It meant that I had to paint over certain areas quite a few times before even thinking of hanging work.
You can see how large the space is in the photos. You can also see how it has kind of become a junk yard for everyones crap, like easels and furniture. I also had to move all of this out into the workshops before I started on the second part of the wall by the door.