So now it’s time to sum up something of what I’ve done with my bursary.
I have experimented with casting resin into blocks and worked with Meltdowns in Ramsgate to learn some of the technical stuff and done lots of research via the internet. The Health and Safety requirements of working with resin is the main factor in my decision to work with ArtResin as I take the work beyond the experimental stage, despite the expense, as this means I can work with it safely in my own studio and not have to travel to Ramsgate.
What I only did a bit of was casting: several reasons but one of the main ones being the physical effort required which with my RA makes it daunting to do large scale casts and mould making, so I like the idea of pieces/images/photos embedded straight into a container, like a tin. One solution I tried was to paint the resin onto 3D forms in several layers as practiced at one of my sessions at Meltdowns foundry in Ramsgate. I didn’t use enough hardener on that occasion and also painted it on too thin so next time will make sure it is thicker.
Another solution is to continue with the direction started as in the image below which is to make larger pieces out of several smaller pieces and to let the work grow incrementally. I made this piece almost by accident when getting the studio tidied up for an Open Studio event and it also resulted from a failed piece … I’m often rescuing work to make it into something else.
Researching resin sculpture online I came across some great pieces such as this one by Rachel Whiteread, which is an inspiration for moving forward.
I have definitely had a bit of trouble getting used the the shininess of the resin and the way it changes the nature of the paper. Testing the effect of the resin on paper has helped me come to a new understanding about my work, I think the idea of preservation of memories is not where I am going with it. I do work with memory but find memory to be so mobile that I don’t want to fix it in my work – I tend to mix stuff up and want to keep a sense of that potential to re-mix, re-order and make new worlds. Rather the resin fits in with my interest in materials and what I can do with them and with my journeys in collage.
So I feel as if I haven’t quite done what I planned but have deepened my understanding of my practice over the past year and the more sculptural work with the resin is definitely something I will continue with.
In my application I said I’d write an application for ACE funding to produce new work but haven’t actually got round to that yet. Partly because I feel am going in a new direction in my practice that is working in tandem with the resin experiments and that is helping me achieve one of my stated aims which was to “become more focused on my own practice and achieve an even better balance between my work as director of Dover Arts Development and making and promoting my own work.”
Finally, I’d like to thank a-n for all the support I’ve received in 2016 and the opportunity, through this bursary, to do something I wouldn’t otherwise have been able to.