Li-E Chen is conducting a series of experiments to begin her process of developing new opera writing and collaboration during her one-year of research and development on the life and art of TehChing Hsieh, 12 September 2017 – 12 September 2018. Li-E aims to bring the concepts behind TehChing Hsieh’s six life durational performance pieces 1978 to 1999 – the “Cage Piece,” “Time Clock Piece”, “Outdoor Piece,” “Art/Life Rope Piece,” “No Art Piece” and “Earth Piece” – to a silent opera.
TehChing Hsieh is a New York-based Taiwanese performance artist, has inspired her to push the boundaries of art and performance by aiming to go beyond the need for narrative, contexts, materials or representational meaning. He has been an important influence on Li-E’s work since she discovered him in 2009 during her Whisper artist residency at the Chinese Arts Centre in Manchester.
TehChing Hsieh’s concepts of bringing his “thinking process” into becoming a lifetime art work explores different orientations towards thinking – what Li-E Chen calls “thinking postures,” a term she uses for the disposition of mind and body that affects one’s ways of living, thinking, and artistic making. Li-E’s experimental opera will response to Hsieh’s work by developing different assemblages of her “thinking process” using a series of Participatory Conversation/Experiments in reflection to his division of time into life time and art time; this division operates outside of language and ordinary conceptions of time.
This Work-book documents Li-E’s one-year research and development process of the project, a completed blog will be published at the end of her project in October 2018 along with a final sharing event at the Live Art Development Agency (Date TBC).
Li-E’s project is being supported by Arts Council England, Southbank Centre, Live Art Development Agency, Tête à Tête Opera Festival, Contemporary Political Theory Research Group, Royal Holloway, University of London. With special thanks to all her supporters, and additional supports from Improbable’s Devoted and Disgruntled in UK, Robert Wilson’s archives collections at The Watermill Center and Columbia University Libraries in New York, and all the participants, advisers who helped in Li-E Chen’s artistic development of her research of silent opera.
Current Public Display, Tate Modern, London till July 2018
Selected links on TehChing Hsieh:
- Inside the Arts 12-1: Hsieh Tehching’s Doing Time | video interview published Jan 1, 2018
- Doing Time, Passing Time, Wasting Time: An Interview With Taiwanese-American Artist Tehching Hsieh | KaiChieh Tu | Aug 3, 2017
- 在動之前做:評謝德慶《做時間》|马玉江 | Jan 4, 2018
- Tehching Hsieh: Doing Time | presented by Taiwan Pavilion at 57th Venice Art Biennale, May to November 2017
- Tehching Hsieh – ‘All Art Comes From Life‘ | TateShots | June 9, 2017
- FOR ME, IT IS FREEDOM | published by Maria Abramovic Institue | June 23, 2016
- OUT OF NOW, | The Lifeworks of Tehching Hsieh by Adrian Heathfield and Tehching Hsieh | 2009
- Tehching Hsieh 1978 – 1999, 1978-1999 | Posters and statements
Current Screening, Live Art Development Agency, London
- Outside Again – a film about the work of Tehching Hsieh
Directed and edited by Adrian Heathfield and Hugo Glendinning