Today I gave my penguins their last coats of varnish. They should be on the streets of Liverpool at the end of November so keep an eye out for Splashy and Tootsie.
I tried to sort out the type today again with little success. I found that painting the letters on was the best solution. But Splashys sponsors ‘artinliverpool’ have decided he’s better without text (much to my relief). So tommorrow I will start varnishing him.
I’ve had terrible trouble today getting the writing to work on Splashy. I’ve tried stecilling the letters onto a practice penguin as a guide and writing free hand onto a practice splash too. The problem is that where there are slight grooves to the paint (that the eye wouldn’t usually pick up on), the ink emphasises them, so even the perfect line looks wobbly because of the dips in the surface. I’ve hit a brick wall and don’t know what to do. But I’ve only got a few days to get the work done as it takes a further three days to get it varnished, so although I’m on schedule I feel in mad panic. Probably no sleep tonight.
I can’t stencil the words on as I was hoping because the paint peels off when I remove the stencil but I’m hoping that I can use the stencil as a guide anyway as it will show equal spaces between the letters and the words should be in a straight line. Last night I spent hours cutting out different fonts ready for today. Fingers crossed it’ll work.
I haven’t been able to find the type of pen I need for the writing on Splashy. I’m going to go shopping after college tomorrow and then start writing on some practice splashes to see what type of writing suits him best. I think the easiest thing to do might be to make up some stencils of different fonts but I need to measure the splashes first so that I make the right size stencils.