0 Comments

Splashys eyes are done. I’m really happy with him now. All I have to do now is the writing and then the varnishing.


0 Comments

I’ve just seen a blog about my penguin on artinliverpool and am really excited. http://www.artinliverpool.com/blog/2009/10/artist-starts-work-on-the-special-artinliverpool-penguin/

It’s made up for what feels like an almost unprogressive day at the studio. I was disapointed when I got there to find that in natural light the yellow needed another coat, but it was soon done and I’ve completed the green too. I’ve started on his eyes but am still applying the white at the moment.


0 Comments

At one point today I thought this might be the final day for painting the splashes on Splashy. But no, the green needs finishing tomorrow morning. It’s so exciting though, I’ll be able to paint the eyes next. I’ve been wanting to for ages but have been saving it as a reward for completing the splashes.

My friend Carol Ramsay came over this afternoon to be my assistant, haha. I’m joking, she very kindly came over to help me. I left her finishing the yellow off whilst I started the green. The yellow proved to be a real pain as it was so transparent and needed so many coats to cover the pencil markings so I’m very grateful to her, as I was bored out of my mind painting the same splashes over and over again, never seeming to get anywhere.

I’ll need to touch up the white before I finish. Then the writing next week, finally the varnish and then it’s ready for the streets of Liverpool.


2 Comments

I met Ian & Minako Jackson today (They run artinLiverpool.com). They came to meet Splashy and me at the studio. They liked him so far, which is a big relief.

Splashy is coming on really well now. I arrived at the studio early today and got a lot done. I finished the purple, started and finshed the pink and started the yellow. He’s getting close to being finished now, only the yellow and green splashes to do now and then little things like the eyes and text to finish the whole thing off.


1 Comment

I arrived at the studio just after 12 an left at 9, but I got loads done. Splashy has now had all the blue applied and I’ve started the first coat of purple. It takes about 6 coats of each colour to cover it nicely but with the red blobs it was 8 and above. I thought it would be the same for the rest but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. I’m going to have to re-think how I’m going to apply the writing. I was going to use stickers like you get for cars or transfers but the penguin can’t have any raised surface so I might stencil them on or I might have to hand paint each word. I’m worried about this but I can’t think of any other ways of doing it at the moment.


1 Comment