- Sunshine International Arts
- Saturday, December 19, 2015
- Sunday, December 20, 2015
- 209A Coldharbour Lane, Brixton, SW9 8RU
- I Shape Beauty
I Shape Beauty is an art collective lead by visual artist Lesley Asare and poet/educator, Indigo Williams, two best friends who make art and engage women of colour through workshops and artistic projects.
Following our Secrets Women Keep project that explored 6 women of colour and their experiences of body shame though poetry and body sculptures last year, we are now working on ‘The Re-imagining of Self,’ a 5 day visual art, poetry and textile art workshop that aims to create the space for women of colour to explore freedom as a daily practice.
We will be trailing this new workshop over 3 days from Saturday 19th December – Monday 21st December 2015 at Sunshine International Arts in Brixton and are currently looking for 5-6 women of colour between the ages of 18-30 to participate.
About the Workshop
Sunshine International Arts
209A Coldharbour Lane,
Day 1: Saturday 19th December 2015: 11am – 7pm
Visual Art Workshop
Through the use of autobiographical writing and mixed media Lesley will work with the participants to express their identities through self portraits.
• To visually explore and express the internal landscape of each participant
• To create a safe space for remembrance and reconnection with the self through self portraiture
Day 2: Sunday 20th December 2015: 11am – 7pm
Through the use of poetry & discussion, Indigo will work with participants to reflect on presence & stillness and the ways that they enable us to let go of the past. Participants will create individual poems to re-imagine themselves and activate their personal power.
• To create a safe space to reflect on experiences, practice stillness and re – imagine yourself through poetry.
Day 3: Monday 21st December 2015: 11am – 7pm
Lesley will work with the participants to explore personal power and presence and their relation to freedom through macrame; the art of knotting.
• To use the process of macrame to practice presence and symbolise the breaking of old patterns and the creation of a new pattern.
• To develop a basic understanding of macrame knots and patterns.
You do not need to have experience in any of the artistic mediums we will be exploring but we are looking for individuals who are open, are willing to share their personal experiences and are able to respectfully listen to the stories of others within a safe space.
Please email us at [email protected] with the following:
- Subject: Workshop Participant Application
- A brief personal statement that communicates who you are (name, age, ethnicity, occupation,)
- Why you would like to be a part of this project and what you hope to get out of it.
- Please also add an additional statement that answers the following question: What does your freedom look like?
Please be aware that you must be available for all three days of the workshop.
Applications close on Saturday 12th December 2015
Successful applicants will be contacted by Tuesday 15th December 2015
We look forward to hearing from you!
Lesley & Indigo