- Scarborough Prison
- Monday, October 12, 2015
- Sunday, November 15, 2015
- Scarborough Prison, Dean Road, Scarborough
- Coastival Scarborough
Call for proposals:
What we want:
We would like to invite artists to submit proposals for how they would use one of the cells in the prison (2.5m high, 2.1m width and 3.8m length). These proposals must be focused upon using drawing (in it broadest sense) as a medium. The proposal should be 500 words maximum and explain how you would use/ respond to the space, your technical/ practical requirements and should be accompanied by 4 images that are representative of your work. The ten invites are open to professional artists and students across the UK. If you would like to take part please complete the proposal form and submit along with your images. The panel of six artists will select from the proposals in early November.
Please complete a proposal form and send with your 4 images (no larger than 250k) to the email below:
Deadline: November 15th 2015
Each artist will be paid £150.
Each artist will also:
- be part of an online publication recording the event.
- have professional documentation of their work.
- have the opportunity to sell other work (e.g prints, multiples etc) for 0% commission at the venue during the event.
Terms and conditions:
- Each selected artist is responsible for the handling, installation and takedown of their own work.
- Each selected artist is responsible for the insurance of their own work for the duration of the project. The Hirer will provide public liability insurance for the project.
- Each selected artist is expected to be available throughout the weekend of the 12th -14th February to invigilate the exhibition on a rota basis.
- All forms of work will be considered including 3D and audiovisual but individual artists are responsible for their own technical requirements.
- Payment will be sent to artists after the completion of the project by the start of March 2016.
- Any damage to work during the exhibition is the responsibility of the artist.
- Each artist will be expected to provide additional information if they are selected.
- All selected artists’ work must be installed and completed by Friday 12th February at 4pm. The exhibition will open Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th from 10am until 4pm.
- The artist is responsible for de-installing their artwork and leaving the venue clean and tidy.
Important information about this venue:
- Access is limited unfortunately: If you have mobility issues or any questions about access please contact Wendy Holdroyd: [email protected]
- The exhibition takes place in February 2016 in an unheated Victorian prison. You need to consider which materials are suitable for these conditions and whether these conditions may damage your work.
- Artists may propose to draw on walls of the cells, fix to the walls, use 3D materials or use audiovisual equipment.
The Prison Drawing Project: Artist’s Proposal Form
Are you currently a student?
Yes / No
Proposal: (500 words max).
Images: (jpeg no larger than 250k).
Image 1: Title:
Image 2: Title:
Image 3: Title:
Image 4: Title: