Castlefield Gallery and a-n The Artists Information Company are inviting contemporary visual artists living and/or working in the North West of England to apply to be part of the Artists’ International Delegation 2019, a seven-day visit to Copenhagen and Aarhus in Denmark taking place 29 August – 4 September this year.
The trip is part of an ongoing partnership between Castlefield Gallery and a-n The Artists Information Company to support artists’ professional practice. Applications are open to a-n members and Castlefield Gallery Associates who are contemporary visual artists living and/or working in the North West of England. One place will be supported for a non-member of either a-n The Artists Information Company and Castlefield Gallery Associates, via the Lee Artists’ International Bursary Fund (LAIBF).
Recent years have seen a surge in the cultural collaborations between Denmark and the UK. This includes a mutually beneficial partnership at a political and cultural level between Manchester and the Jutland region in Denmark. Castlefield Gallery has developed a number of relationships with arts and cultural organisations in Copenhagen and Aarhus.
The delegation will be an opportunity for artistic and career development for artists in Manchester and the North West, and will encourage cultural understanding and exchanges with Danish arts and cultural organisations and artists. Delegates will be offered a per diem to cover expenses on the seven-day trip.
Arriving in Copenhagen, delegates will attend the opening of Chart Art Fair, which takes place at the Kunsthal Charlottenborg and Den Frie Centre of Contemporary Art and has established itself as the leading international platform for contemporary art in the Nordic region.
There will also be opportunities to visit artists’ studios and connect with artist-run spaces and collectives in the city that have played an important role in the country’s artistic development over the last 10 to 15 years. Delegates will then take a short train journey to explore arts organisations in Aarhus.
How to apply
Please read further information below and carefully note the eligibility criteria.
Send the following to [email protected] marked ‘Denmark Delegation’ in the email header or by post to Denmark Delegation, Castlefield Gallery, 2 Hewitt Street, Manchester, M15 4GB.
● Completed application form [DOWNLOAD HERE] saved as a pdf (with your name first in the title, eg Freda_Bloggs_Denmark_Delegation_Application)
● Your CV (eg Freda Bloggs_CV)
● Completed Diversity Monitoring Form [DOWNLOAD HERE] (eg Freda_Bloggs_DMform)
● The visit is being coordinated by Castlefield Gallery who will lead the visit alongside a member of the a-n team.
● Each artist will receive a per diem of £60 per day for the seven-day trip, as well as accommodation and return travel from Manchester to Denmark (Copenhagen and Aarhus).
● a-n The Artists Information Company members and Castlefield Gallery Associates who are contemporary visual artists living and/or working in the North West of England.
● Non artist members of either scheme but qualifying as contemporary visual artists living and/or working in the North West of England. One place will be supported for a non-member of either a-n The Artists Information Company and Castlefield Gallery Associates, via the Lee Artists’ International Bursary Fund (LAIBF).
● The North West region is defined as the counties of Cheshire, Cumbria, Greater Manchester, Lancashire and Merseyside. Artists whose primary place of residence or studio address is within the above counties are eligible to apply for this opportunity. In your application you will be asked to provide a full postal address for your place of residence and/or studio.
Exclusions and requirements
● Applicants will be required to be available for pre-delegation communications.
● Applicants must be available to attend for the full period of the delegation; partial attendance will not be considered or accepted.
● Applicants will be required, and must confirm agreement in their application, to engage and take part in post-delegation evaluation.
● We will not consider applications from those currently engaged in full-time education.
● Any incomplete applications or applications received after the deadline of 12 noon on Monday 8 July 2019 will be ineligible.
● Demonstrating how participating in the delegation will be valuable to their artistic and professional development, taking into account the aims of the delegation.
● Demonstrating how their network of peers might benefit from their participation in the delegation, taking into account the aims of the delegation.
The selection panel will be made up of Castlefield Gallery and a-n staff as follows: Helen Wewiora, director, Castlefield Gallery; Wing-Sie Chan, Programmes and Partnerships Manager, a-n The Artists Information Company; plus an additional Castlefield Gallery representative, TBC.
The decision to award or not is at the discretion of Castlefield Gallery and a-n The Artists Information Company. Outcomes of the decision-making process will be final and will be based on a scoring and balancing process.
● In submitting an application, applicants must confirm they meet the eligibility criteria and are not excluded by any of the exclusions listed above.
● We unfortunately cannot provide support to develop applications or feedback on unsuccessful applications.
● All artists must provide and evidence their own travel insurance and up-to-date EHIC card before their place on the trip can be confirmed; we strongly recommend that you apply for your EHIC card as soon as possible in order not to delay confirmation. After notification of your successful application, the deadline to provide this evidence is 12 noon, 18 July, to be supplied to Leslie, CG Associates Co-ordinator, [email protected]
If this information is not supplied by the deadline the offer of a place on the delegation will be withdrawn.
Aims of the delegation
● To enable cultural exchange between artists on an international, and particularly European, basis enabling experience of one another’s practices, ideas and cultures.
● To share strategies for, and gain insights into, sustaining artistic practices.
● To explore and encourage medium to long-term opportunities for in-depth collaboration and exchange between the UK and Denmark, and to forge relationships through which to achieve this.
● To encourage peer learning and networking between the North West of England and Copenhagen/Aarhus.
● To share learning with wider artist networks, and to benefit the wider arts and cultural sector in the UK.
● To develop critical/practical resources for the benefit of a-n’s broader membership, CG Associate members and both organisations’ wider network of artists, curators and writers.
The deadline for applications is 12 noon, Monday 8 July 2019. Successful applicants will notified on Friday 12 July 2019. For more information visit: www.castlefieldgallery.co.uk
For those with access needs interested in applying, please contact leslie[email protected] or call 0161 832 8034 and ask for Leslie Remonato.
1. Cultural Production Centre Godsbanen, Aarhus, Denmark. Courtesy: Castlefield Gallery