Artist membership is open to practising visual and applied artists. Practising artists tend to be carrying out activities such as seeking to exhibit or sell their work in galleries and fairs, seeking or accepting commissions, selling to collectors, undertaking artists’ residencies and community projects and receiving artistic coverage through reviews, features and critical writing.
Artist membership automatically includes AIR membership. AIR is a formal membership body established by a-n in 2007 to provide representation to artists for advocacy, campaigns and professional benefits. Because of benefits like PPL insurance you must ensure you meet 3 of the following before joining:
- You hold a degree (or equivalent qualification) in a visual arts practice.
- You’ve held at least one public exhibition, installation or live art performance (other than a degree show) in the recent period.
- You have carried out on a paid-for basis at least one artist’s residency or community project in the recent period.
- You have sold art or craft work through a gallery, exhibition space or retail outlet in the recent period.
- Your work has been reviewed, featured or profiled in an arts magazine, website or other relevant publication.
- You are a current member of another professional body for artists such as Contemporary Glass Society, DACS, Royal Society of British Sculptors.
- Your work has been commissioned on a paid-for basis on at least one occasion by a public or private client.
- You have received at least one prize, grant, award or bursary in your capacity as a practising artist.
- You have had at least one work purchased for a public or a private collection.