Call to art students graduating in 2023: have your work featured in a-n’s Degree Shows Guide 2023
Who can apply? Students graduating from an undergraduate visual arts course in the UK in 2023
Deadline: 9am, Monday 13 March 2023
Would you like to have your work featured in a-n’s 2023 Degree Shows Guide?
Each May a-n publishes its digital Degree Shows Guide, which celebrates the art and ideas of graduating students from art colleges across the UK. Graduating in 2023? This is your year to get involved.
a-n is looking for works by final year students to include in our Class of 2023 feature, which showcases the most exciting degree shows work and for many graduating students provides their first national exposure.
Wondering what the catch is? There isn’t one. It’s free to apply and we’ve kept the application process as simple as possible. The only rule is that you must be graduating from an undergraduate visual arts course in the UK in 2023.
Please read the guidance below carefully and get ready to send us your best work!
To apply email us at [email protected] with the subject ‘Class of 2023’ and the following information:
1. Three images of your work. These can be in-progress or completed works. They do not have to be your final degree show work. If selected, you’ll have the chance to send us more images, which can include finished or closer-to-completion work.
- Jpeg or .png attachments, maximum size 2mb per image
- Filenames should include full image captions (see below) or if not possible due to character limit, must at least include artist’s name and title of the artwork
- No Wetransfer links or Pdfs please.
2. Captions for each image in this format: Artist’s name, title of artwork, year it was made, medium, dimensions. Photo: name of photographer (if required and if the photographer is not the artist)
3. A short statement about your work (50-75 words)
4. Details about your degree show. Where it is taking place, dates, plus any weblinks
5. Details about you:
- Your preferred pronouns
- What university/art school you are graduating from, the course name and year
- Social media handles, if you use Instagram and/or Twitter
- Website or other relevant weblinks.
6. Complete Equal Opportunities form: follow link for information about why a-n asks you to do this, and how we use and store this data: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/BQQW88Q
Deadline: 9am, Monday 13 March 2023
Some general tips on how to make the most of applications:
- Read the application guidance carefully to make sure you are eligible
- Follow the ‘how to apply’ instructions exactly, paying attention to word counts, number of images requested, etc
- Take good quality images of your work, ensuring that the lighting and angle shows your work in the best possible way
- Keep in mind that the selection panel is seeing your work for the first time – providing a clear artist statement and consistent images will help them to understand what your work is about, how you make it and why you make it
- Make your artist statement concise and direct, using language that a person reading your application will understand
- Get someone else to proof read your artist statement and application. Ask them to tell you what your application is proposing – if it isn’t clear to them then it probably won’t be clear to the selection panel.
- Every application will be considered but we cannot guarantee that your work will be included
- Copyright remains with the artist. If selected your images may be used in relation to a-n’s Degree Shows work and will be credited to you
- Due to the number of expected applications we regret that we cannot give feedback
- If you have any access requirements that mean you would like technical support with your application please email [email protected] with ‘ACCESS: Class of 2023’ in the subject line.