- Exposed Arts Project
- Tuesday, September 10, 2019
- Tuesday, October 22, 2019
- 4-6 Drayson Mews, Kensington, London W8 4LY
- Exposed Arts Project
‘It has been two centuries, twice a hundred years since independence and nonetheless the vestiges of colonisation still remain…’ comments Tere Chad, the curator of Neo Norte. Neo Norte is an exhibition that proposes the south as the new north. The show opens up the debate about the dominance of Eurocentric curatorial practices, and how this impact cultures that remain behind. The proposal reflects about why, at times, there appears to exist a pejorative against Latin American art. In response, Neo Norte invites to a dialogue of ethnic, folkloric, and western artworks in the same space.
The artworks showcased during this exhibition are inspired by broad topics, such as: cultural syncretism, migrations as creative destructions that can open doors for new opportunities, shamanism from a Pre-Columbian and western perspective, and last but not least, the contrast between digital and physical materiality in the old and the new continent.
Neo Norte was presented for the first time in August 2018 at the Fundación Cultural de Providencia, Santiago, Chile. Now it will be displayed for the second time at Exposed Arts Projects, located at 4-6 Drayson Mews, Kensington, London W8 4LY (close to High Street Kensington tube station). It will form part of a series about ‘Empowerments’ exhibited at this space. The private view takes place on the 10th of September at 6pm. Afterwards the show will open to the public until October 22nd.
OPENING HOURS: Thursday – Friday 12noon – 4pm (or by appointment)
PUBLIC EVENTS CALENDAR:
– CARTONERAS WORKSHOP: 18th of September 6:30pm – 8pm at Exposed Arts Projects (Rafael Morales Cendejas and Paulina Figueroa).
– GUIDED VISIT: 25th September 6:30pm – 8pm at Exposed Arts Projects (Tere Chad).
– SEMINAR: DECOLONISATION BY DESIGN & LATINOS MANIFESTO PUBLICATION: 5th October 12noon – 1pm at Five Years, Unit 2B1, Boothby Rd, Upper Holloway, London N19 4AJ (Raúl Valdivia and Victoria Vargas).
– KHIPU WORKSHOP: 13th October 11am – 1pm at Exposed Arts Projects (Cindy Moreno).
-FINISSAGE: 22nd October 6:30pm – 8pm at Exposed Arts Projects.
-PANEL DISCUSSION: 11th November (venue and time to be confirmed).
– CENTRAL SAINT MARTINS WINDOW EXHIBITION: 26th September – 11th November, at Window 3, Granary Building, 1 Granary Square, Kings Cross, London N1C 4AA.
PARTICIPANTS: Beatriz Creel, César Baracca, Clarissa Serafim, Cindy Moreno, Domenica Landin, Emiliano de Rokha, Giuseppe Mario Urso, José Carlos García Oliva, José Miranda, Lorenzo Belenguer, Luisa Rodríguez, Maritina Keleri, Matteo Valerio, Nataly Pérez, Mica Mornaghi, Olav Lorentzen, Paulina Figueroa, Paula Turmina, Rafael Morales Cendejas, Raúl Valdivia, Santiago Joaquín McGorty, Santiago Rodríguez Gómez, Stephanie Rodríguez, Tere Chad, Teresa Paiva, Victoria Vargas.