I finally finished the main steel body of the sculpture today. The most challenging part of this was creating two joints in the structure that would allow me to take the sculpture apart for transport, but be very strong when bolted together. Once this was finished I was able to weld on the steel uprights which will be supports for the wooden elements that will be attached. These I positioned thinking about multiple viewpoints of the sculpture. I am interested in how I can create several different images within the work depending on where the viewer stands. I also want there to be an element of discovery in viewing the work, how when you move around it you will see a new colour or form.
The work has grown much larger than I anticipated, I think the final length will be approximately 5m.
Once the uprights were welded on I then cut out using a plasma cutter the steel shapes that will be welded onto the uprights and will then be the means off attaching the wooden characters. Using a plasma cutter is a very much like drawing and therefore I feel that I am finding a shape in the steel as I draw it out. It is a very inventive way of working with metal.
The steel plates were then welded onto the main structure and I was able to work on the element that will represent a moss. This is made from steel pipe that I have bent into a form that hopefully gives the impression that the metal is feeling out into the space.
My last task for the day was to weld onto the underside of all four sections the reinforcement bar that will be sunk into the ground and act as an anchor for the work while it is on display at Broomhill.
I have used the fantastic facilities at the London Sculpture Workshops to do all of the metalwork for the sculpture and the team there has been extremely helpful during the development of the piece.
Now the steel is ready to be taken to be coated.