Looking at artist Henry Moore (pot_punk), he has built up a very strong following on Instagram with over 12k followers.
He appeared on a TV programme, The Great British Pottery Throwdown, which has improved his following rate hugely.
He creates posts, videos, stories, to keep his brand seen.
I have emailed Henry and these are the questions I have asked him:
- How long have you been on social media with your art practise
- How did you build up such a strong following?
- Do you take much notice of algarythms and analytics?
- What would your top tips be to improve social media presence for a newcomer?
- Do you find social media can inspire your work through being in contact with other artists because it is such a visual platform?
- Do you have a preferred social media platform for your art practice?
Monday 2nd May, I made two posts of my work. One post had a video in of my process, and the second post had finished works.
Two days on I can take a look at the insights of the posts to get a better idea of how many accounts they reached and other information.
Comparing both posts which went live at a similar time. I can see that both have the same amount of likes. Interestingly post one reached 40 accounts, yet post two reached 27.
I wonder whether the algorithims came into play here, as with post one there is a video but not in post two, this may be the reason it reached a bigger audience than post two.
Also the hashtags from post one reached more of an audience compared to post two.
Looking into what Instagram Insights and algorithms are.
Insights: You can use them to learn more about overall trends accross followers and the content performance with the audience.
Algorithms: The social network sifts through the consumer feed to prioritise what they see, this is worked out by working out what the consumer wants to see, based on past viewing.
I have now registered as a ‘creative’ so ‘insights’ should be available to view.
How to view ‘insights’
- Go to profile.
- Type the Insights action button.
- You can also go to the upper right corner, tap Insights.
- Tap metrics in the Overview or specific content you’v shared for a more detailed breakdown.
I cannot see ‘Insights’ when logged onto my computer, the only way I have found that you can view ‘Insights’ is through my mobile phone.
Above is my Insights overview on Instagram. It shows that I have reached three accounts in the last 7 days, one account that it has engaged with. And my followers are down -1.3%.
The only way I have promoted my art is through posts. I realise that I need to post more, maybe post videos of my practice/ create stories.
Posting regularly should promote my art further.
I also need to find out when are the best times to post. Unfortunately because fewer than 100 accounts saw my content during the time period the Audience demographics facility is not available to me.
I will need to get in touch with an creative person who is on instagram to see if they have any top tips for me.