- The Riverfront, Newport
- Thursday, August 18, 2016
- Sunday, August 21, 2016
- Kingsway Newport NP20 1HG
- Arts Development UK
What is it?
RawFfest is a new youth arts festival for Wales that is fun, innovative and surprising. It will be planned and programmed by young people for young people; showcase the best of youth arts today; be inclusive, providing pathways for young participants to develop. There will be a wide range of workshops where young people can explore their creativity and make new work. We value the original over the copy, the quirky over the conventional, the daring over the dull.
- promote and support artswork from 500 young artists and performers aged 14-25 years. It will utilize urban environments, anchored at an arts venue with satellite locations in the town/city and reaching out to rural areas.
- increase participation in the arts for young people who will be in the driving seat throughout. This will include representation on a steering group, curating the festival, working as apprentices, and being trained as volunteers.
- offer a programme over 4 days (Thursday to Sunday) in the middle of August.
- explore opportunities for skills exchange and social interaction. The festival will be a vehicle to train young people in arts practice and in order to have an in-depth immersive experience, all participants should be accommodated close-by.
- be sustainable, accessible and affordable to young people in Wales. The festival will be bilingual and we are committed to making this festival as inclusive as possible and actively seek diversity in all its aspects.
The first festival will be based in the Riverfront, Newport from 18th – 21st August 2016; August 2017 Venue Cymru, Llandudno and August 2018 WMC, Cardiff. It is a partnership of the 3 venues, Youth Arts Network Cymru, and Arts Development UK which is the Lead Body. RawFfest has financial support from Arts Council of Wales and Welsh Government Major Events.
- We are currently recruiting an Administrator. Go to http://artsdevelopmentuk.org/vacancies/ to find out more. Deadline 29 Jan 2016.
- We are about to work with Youth Arts Network Cymru to recruit young people to join the working groups to curate, plan and market the RawFfest
- After that, there will be a Wales-wide call for work which can be performed, shown, shared, made at RawFfest
Until we have a website, we will be updating information through the Facebook page set up during the feasibility stage: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1497714910444462/ Feel free to post questions there.