- Tate suffers blow in efforts to keep amount of BP funding secret Attempts by Tate to keep secret the details of its sponsorship deal with BP suffered a setback when the information commissioner dropped his opposition to its disclosure at a legal hearing brought by campaign group Request Initiative and Platform.
- Harold Cohen, 1928–2016 The abstract painter and pioneering digital artist Harold Cohen has died, aged 87. Born in London, Cohen was the creator of AARON, one of the first computer programs for generating art, and represented Britain at the Venice Biennale in 1966.
- Francois Morellet, 1926-2016 The French artist Francois Morellet, co-founder of kinetic and optical art collective Grav, has passed away aged 90. Known for his work in neon, in 2011 Morellet received a major retrospective at the Centre Pompidou in Paris.
- Japanese artist found guilty of obscenity Megumi Igarashi has been fined 400,000 yen (£2,575) by a Japanese court for distributing data that enabled recipients to make 3D prints of her vagina.
- Auctionata and Paddle8 to merge The online art auctioneers Auctionata and Paddle8 are merging in order to create a bigger online specialist in art sales and to develop a broader international reach.
- Egyptian performance group arrested for mocking president Four members of the collective and performance group Awlad el-Shawarea (Street Children), aged between 19 and 25, have been arrested in Cairo over video clips posted online that mocked Egypt’s president and his supporters.
- Dealers settle lawsuit against artist Ibrahim Mahama The art dealers Stefan Simchowitz and Jonathan Ellis King have agreed to settle their dispute with the Ghanian artist Ibrahim Mahama following a legal dispute over the potential sale of hundreds of jute sack artworks which Mahama refused to authenticate.
- Turkish government censors video projection and Youth Biennial works The Istanbul-based public art project YAMA and 4th Istanbul Children and Youth Art Biennial have had artworks censored by the authorities.
Liberate Tate protest against BP sponsorship, Tate Modern, 2014