It has recently been drawn to our attention that we’re supposed to have an ‘online presence’ as part of our module outcomes. I know that blogs count towards this, but since I’ve always planned to have my own website anyway, I now own

http://www.alice-lynch.co.uk. Hoorah!

I had several days of deliberating over (or probably over deliberating) the domain name, as unfortunately, alicelynch.com and alicemarylynch.com and the co.uk versions were already taken. I did consider using my future married name (Alice Holmes) but decided just to stick a hyphen in my current name instead. The site’s still very much ‘under construction’ but I’d like to get it at least functional within the next couple of weeks.

Our initial discussions regarding the degree show brochure and budget, etc have taken place, and we’re all feeling pretty positive about it all. In past years, fine art students have had to share the budget and brochure with the graphics and lens based media students (we attend a small college), but this year we are pushing for control of our own brochure and budget. We also need to start planning personal business cards, postcards and all the promotional material… lots to do!

On the work front, I’ve completed an experimental ‘exploded box’, and have started on a second, larger version. They’re not quite what I want yet. My glass domes are just beginning to come together now, after a few failed attempts at creating exactly what I’d envisioned. And I’m mulling over an idea to create a handmade book using some of the little illustrations that appear in my works. I do feel more focused now, although do still get unhelpful urges to go off and paint pirate cats or something. But they will have to wait.

Lastly, a few days ago, a fellow student and myself ran a children’s workshop to show a group of primary school children how to make a plaster tile – a basic introduction into abstract mark making and using clay and plaster of Paris. I was actually strangely nervous before starting it, but found the whole experience really enjoyable and rewarding – the children were so enthusiastic and excited by the materials. It’s made me think about my options for post-degree…I would definitely be interested in running more workshops, which is something I’d not really considered before. General positivity all around!

1 Comment

Our dissertation and semester A feedback has been…feeded back…and I’m pretty happy with my marks. Not amazingly spectacular but a little better than I’d estimated, so I can start the final semester with a smile (hoorah!).

We’ve recently had a rearrangement of our studio spaces at college, and I’m so much happier with my new space. I hadn’t realised how much the studio space affected how I worked. It now feels much more conducive to productive working (very important considering the final exhibition has suddenly become very real and worryingly close!)

I’ve been working on some layered ‘boxes’, and have just started on some ‘exploded’ versions of these boxes, to take away their sense of confinement (in other words, remove the frames and sides – open up the box). I’ve set myself the challenge to get one finished by the weekend (slightly feeling the pressure to produce more work now the dissertation has finished!).

Lastly, I’ve been ebaying and charity shopping again and picked up some great vintage anatomy books and glass domes – there’s an idea developing involving 3D layered structures displayed under the glass domes, like taxidermy or a biological specimen. Lots of plans, just need to stay focused!