It’s been an incredibly busy degree shows season so far this year, and a quick look through the a-n Instagram will reveal the inventive, high-quality work that’s coming out of the UK’s art schools at both BA and MA level.
As June progresses the number of new openings is slowing down a little, but there are plenty of shows still on as well as new one’s launching this week.
Here we highlight some of the latest shows opening over the next seven days:
Royal College of Art
Taking place across a variety of internal and external venues, the Royal College of Art’s ‘Show 2018‘ features work by over 800 art and design postgraduate students. Much of the work is for sale or commission, ranging from paintings to prints, glassware to jewellery and furniture to textiles.
23 June – 1 July, Kensington Gore, London, SW7 2EU.
Norwich University of the Arts
The Norwich University of the Arts Degree Shows feature a host of different courses, with work including painting, illustration, fashion garments, textile patterns, architectural drawings and models, sculpture, photography, short films and animations, portfolios of graphic design work, and video game demos.
26 June – 4 July, Francis House, 3-7 Redwell Street, Norwich, NR2 4SN.
City and Guilds of London Art School
This show features the work of 24 BA (Hons) Fine Art students working in painting, sculpture, drawing and printmaking, plus the final-year projects of BA (Hons) Conservation Studies and Historic Carving students. The exhibition takes place in City and Guilds of London Art School’s atmospheric Victorian studios and Georgian buildings, which are linked with a contemporary entrance foyer, designed by Alan Higgs Architects.
PV 26 June, 27 June – 1 July, 124 Kennington Park Road, London, SE11 4DJ.
West Dean College of Arts and Conservation
This exhibition showcases the work of students graduating from West Dean College of Arts and Conservation’s full-time Visual Arts programmes, including Graduate Diploma and Master’s degrees, as well as interim exhibitions by first year MFA students. The show is first being held at West Dean, before moving to the Espacio Gallery, London, later in July.
30 June – 6 July, West Dean, Nr Chichester, West Sussex, PO18 0QZ.
Visit the a-n Instagram for more images and comment on this year’s degree shows
Now published: a-n Degree Shows Guide 2018
New site resource
The magazine-style guide is hosted on a brand new digital resource at www.a-n.co.uk/degree-shows with additional features including:
- An interactive map and expanded listings to help you find a show near you
- Longer reads including an interview with Goldsmiths graduate Rehana Zaman in which she discusses the importance of people from less privileged communities having access to art education
- Further degree shows insights from this year’s graduating students
- All the latest news and views from the degree shows as they happen including highlights of a-n Instagram takeover coverage
- New graduate resources. These will be added as degree season progresses and our focus shifts to supporting graduating students to sustain practice and explore options after study.
a-n Degree Shows Guide 2018 is available on a-n.co.uk/degree-shows alongside more news, views and pictures from this year’s shows.
You can view on Issuu here or join the conversation on social media using the hashtag #andegrees18.
1. Nell Nicholas in her studio making work for her final show, 2018. Courtesy; artist
2. Hannah Gasparutti, BA (Hons) Photography 2017
3. West Dean College of Arts and Conservation Visual Arts Summer Show 2017