It’s all been a bit of a blur, like the old saying about waiting forever for a London bus then three come along at once. I went from feeling like it would be months till I would have my studio to everything happening in quick succession. Got the keys from the builders, had 4 days in which to do 3 coats of paint, the first being a very wet primer coat that dripped everywhere. The black plastic the builders left to protect the floor soon resembled an action painting by Jackson Pollock. I finished in time for the electrician to arrive and install sockets, lights and a wonderful ‘turbo power’ heater. Deciding where my 4 double sockets would go would determine my studio layout and work flow, I needed to get it right. I wanted at least 2 above counter height for my workbench which I saved from my last studio, it had been stored under plastic in the garage for 15 months.
The electrician was done by 3 pm and I had a few hours to put a quick coat of gloss on the skirting board before the vinyl was laid the next morning. I picked the cheapest, but lightest coloured vinyl that Carpet Right had which was wide enough. It looks like slabs of concrete which I thought appropriate given the garden location and the fact that I wanted this studio for messy plaster and concrete work.
By Saturday morning I was ready to start moving in!