Another project we worked on whilst being exiled from the studio was A World of Ego Close to the Gods. 

Given the opportunity to use the Embassy Gallery in Edinburgh for 4 weeks, we had to come up with a project which would satisfy everyone involved – both MA and MFA students.

We settled on a table based exhibition which ensured all participants had a level playing field – the same amount of 30x3o cm table to work with. The idea of a kind of anthropological display with a note to representing oneself as an artist in either an object or intervention on this compact space. The idea of breaking down hierarchies in a simple way yet left up to the individual to contribute in that way they felt appropriate.

The tables were beautifully made – two fellow students having excellent woodworking skills – but perhaps some of the work almost seemed an afterthought. Which I expect is quite often the case in a project such as this.

I ended up managing the project, something I have experience in and I particularly enjoy. Perhaps a desire for control or just a joy in organising and seeing/making things happen. A few hitches along the way providing challenges and learning points which were welcomed. Learning the new skill of van driving will stand me in good stead, I know it.

Gaining drinks sponsorship, arranging a successful opening night with live music, sorting out invigilation and organising everything in between is all part and parcel of an event such as this. It was really time consuming but ultimately worthwhile as we pulled off a very successful event.

Looking back it was a good distraction, with no working space to be had, but with the weeks flying by I now am struggling to concentrate on preparing for the final show in August.

I find myself too often distracted by outside concerns and I wonder how the artists/students who seem completely engaged all the time do it. Maybe I am too in touch with my own reality, or perhaps I see that completely as part of my practice.



1 Comment

Just after my long ago last post, we had an “end of term” assessment.

There has been a bit of a hiatus or lull in many things since then. Feedback was exceptionally late, also: Unfortunately, due to lack of space in the college, we were obliged to move out of our studios to a small space where only the smallest of work can be made. Often these conditions can indeed be the starting point for something different – forced change can create exceptional solutions.

However usually it is just a pain in the behind.

I had decided to continue with my Numbers project and make a much larger, life sized version – the physicality reflecting ourselves in our surroundings. Making large size sculptural pieces with little space to do it in was perhaps not the best idea, but sometimes once you are in the thick of it, there is no going back.

Having a steadfast commitment to finishing a piece of work, despite setbacks, cost, logistical challenges and lack of resource is something I’d say I have. Not purely a stubborn attitude but more not being put off when someone says it can’t be done – more about let’s think how we can do it.

So finish them I did, finally, and they were shown last week at the Talbot Rice Gallery.

This came about as a integral part of the course – working with the curators there to make a show of our peer group.

Initially we were to send an artist statement and images for them to gain an insight to our practice. Later there were studio visits and an ongoing negotiation about what works would be shown and how.

This was a valuable experience, dealing with curators in this way – making decisions about the placement and display of work in a larger space in relation to others work sometimes a consideration overlooked.

We still don’t have adequate studio provision and the time has come now to begin to prepare for our graduate show in August. I hope the energy that has come out of showing in a gallery such as this will carry us through, and the determination and commitment to our work will not be lessened.