Framing my piece, Inherited, has proved as tricky as expected. After several sleepless nights, paper conservator and framer Deborah Colam and I did finally manage to get all the paper cutouts placed on the backing board with additional help from my mum. I was quite despondent at one point, thinking we’d either not manage it at all or that we’d have to start again. The paper responded in wayward fashion to the tension of the nylon thread and generally did not behave itself very well. I wish in some ways we’d used sewing thread, as in the prototype, as it is much more sympathetic, but we got there in the end.